1949 Ferrari 166MM Touring Coupe
All photography work is copyrighted by the author, please don't download and publish these pictures in the internet without my permission!
Larger high quality pictures is available only for donators up on request! Vasileios Papaidis 2022 © All Rights Reserved
To commemorate their first major success at the prestigious 1948 Mille Miglia, Ferrari upgraded their successful 166 Sport and made a series of cars called the 166 MM. These contributed more than any other previous type, scoring many of Ferrari's first international victories and established the company as a serious manufacturer of sports cars.For their new series, Ferrari outsourced production of the bodies to Touring of Milan who made 25 roadsters using their patented Superleggera technique. It fixed aluminum-alloy panels directly to a tubular space frame which was both light and rigid.
Ferrari's first successful coupe was the Le Mans Berlinetta made for the 1950 24 Hours of Le mans. Neither of the two cars entered that year finished the race, but they were upgraded to 195 S specification which was good enough to win the 1950 Mille Miglia.
In 1950 Ferrari improved the 166 MM by enlarging the engine's bore and raising the single cylinder capacity to 195cc. This produced a 2341cc unit that was capable of 170 bhp @ 7000 rpm. The 195 S engine debuted at the 1950 Giro di Sicilia for Alberto Ascari and Giannino Marzotto.
Bodies for the Le Mans Berlinetta were crafted by Superleggera Touring in Milan who focused on weight reduction and air resistance. The completely aluminum body was based off the 166 MM Barchetta and was supported by small steel tubes. At the time Ferrari had an agreement with Pirelli and many Le Mans Berlinettas were raced with them.
Many of 166MMs were upgraded to reflect the new engine size including the 195 Sport that won the 1950 Mille Miglia with Giannino Marzotto and ex-Alfa Romeo racing driver Martino Severi. They were using a privately entered 166 Touring Barchetta with a brand new 2.3-litre V12. Marzotto could afford to race the with available funds from the family textile business.
type Racing Car
released at 1950 Giro di Sicilia
built at Maranello, Italy
body stylist Carlo Felice Bianchi Anderloni
engine 60º V12 w/Dry Sump Lubrication
position Front Longitudinal
ignition Twin Magnetos
block material Aluminum Alloy
valvetrain SOHC 2 Valves / Cyl
fuel feed 3 Weber 36DCF Carburetors
displacement 2341 cc / 142.80 in³
bhp/weight 205.13 bhp per tonne
body / frame Body over Steel Ladder-Type Chassis
driven wheels Front Engine
transmission 5-Speed Manual
tran clutch Dry Double Plate
top speed ~220 kph / 136.62 mph
key drivers Giannino Marzotto
race victories 1950 Mille Miglia