1959 Ferrari 250 TR Fantuzzi
All photography work is copyrighted by the author, please don't download and publish these pictures in the internet without my permission!
Larger high quality pictures is available only for donators up on request! Vasileios Papaidis 2018 © All Rights Reserved
History of the car
The Ferrari 250TR was produced from 1957 through 1958 during which time, only 19 examples were created. The 'pontoon' fender body was designed by Scaglietti and the power was supplied through a Colombo 12-cylinder engine mounted at a sixty-degree angle and outfitted with six Weber 38 DCN carburetors. Power was sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. With 300 horsepower, the 800 kg vehicle was able to achieve a 168 mph top speed. From 1958 through 1961, the 250 TR was entered in 19 championship races where they emerged victorious ten times.
The 250 in 250 TR represented the unitary displacement while the TR was an acronym meaning Testa Rossa. Testa Rossa translates to 'red head' which referred to the color of the engine's cylinder head.
The 250 TR series was built to capture the world championship which was experience questionable times. During the 1955 24 Hours of LeMans a fatal accident occurred and the Commissione Sportiva Internazionale (CSI) began investigating ways to make the sport safer for the drivers and the spectators. Their efforts were escalated in 1957 when another fatal accident occurred at the Mille Miglia. The committee decided upon a displacement limit but they were in disagreement on the size; the proposed figures ranged from 3 to around 3.5 liters.
1958 was the first year for the new regulations, which had been announced during the later part of 1957. Ferrari had been building, testing, and racing the 250 GT which had performed well during the 1957 Mille Miglia. The Colombo V12 260 horsepower engine received a larger bore, camshaft, and other improvements resulting in a 3.1 liter displacement and 320 horsepower. Testing continued throughout the 1957 season in both body configuration and mechanical components.
Ferrari had anticipated the new engine size regulations and thus had been sufficiently prepared to capture the world championship. Due to the potential of negative publicity caused by the fatal accidents, other manufacturers, such as Aston Martin, Lotus, Cooper and Jaguar, were hesitant to continue racing. Ferrari believed their closest competitor would be the powerful and technologically advanced Maserati 450 S which featured a quad-cam eight-cylinder engine.
"Equipaggio Internazionale" run at 2nd Circuito DI Avezzano 2014
Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa (1959) Giuliano Bensi (IT) & Vasileios Papaidis (GRE)
This 1959 Ferrari 250 TR was bodied by Fantuzzi in Spyder configuration. One of Fantuzzi Spiders driven at the Sebring 12 Hour race in 1959 by Jean Behra and Cliff Allison to a very impressive second place finish. It drove in the Targa Florio by Jean Behra and Tony Brooks but failed to finish. It achieved a third place overall at the 1000km Nurburgring.Phil Hill drove the car the remainder of the 1959 season, achieving a first as the Los Angeles Times Grand Prix and at Nassau. The car was purchased by Jack Nethercutt Jr. in December of 1959 and raced throughout the 1960 and 1961 season by J.Nethercutt.Pete Lovely and Jack Nethercutt drove the car to a 3rd place finish at Sebring in 1960. The following year it failed to finish, being driven by both drivers.